Nowruz is the Persian New Year; that’s celebrated in Iran and also in many other central Asian countries.
Eating fish, a symbol of life, on the eve of Persian New Year, is traditional. Trying to find the best fish, preparing it is a tradition similar to an American’s hunt for picking the right turkey on Thanksgiving dinner.
Whitefish from the Caspian Sea region is among the preferred type of fish for the Nowruz feast.
The popularity of whitefish grew in other parts of the country since it became available with the improved means of transportation and refrigeration.
White fish benefits and calory
Fish is considered the best and healthiest meat. Whitefish is rich in many nutrients. It contains omega-3 fatty acids, which is crucial for optimal body and brain function and profoundly linked to reducing the risk of many diseases.
The most common causes of premature deaths are heart attacks and strokes; one of the most heart-healthy foods you can eat is fish. Numerous observational studies in the U.S indicate that people who put fish in their diet face a minimum risk of strokes, heart attacks, and death from heart disease.
It’s recommended that breastfeeding and pregnant women eat enough fish that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Recent researches have found that people who eat fish regularly are much less likely to become depressed. Fish is a rich dietary source of vitamin D. Every 100g of white fish contains 172 calories.
White fish Ingredients
- Salt/ black pepper
- Garlic powder (granulated garlic)
- Ground turmeric
- Crumbled saffron threads
- Ground cinnamon
- Lime or lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Vegetable oil/butter
- Ginger (optional)
White fish Recipe
- Line a platter with paper towels.
- Mix the salt, pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, saffron, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Cut the fish into small (4 or 5 inches long) sizes.
- Squeeze lemon/lime juice over both sides of the fillets to moister them. Take one piece of the fillet and press all sides of each fillet into the prepared spice mixture to get coated.
- Heat oil up in a frying pan over medium-high heat. If you use ginger, add it when the oil shimmers and cook for a minute or two.
- To avoid overcrowding, add enough pieces of fish, pan-fry for about 5m or until golden brown. Turn the fillets over and fry for about 3m.
- Move the fillets to the platter lined with a paper towel to drain briefly. Squeeze lemon juice on fillet and enjoy serving.
Persian whitefish is usually served with rice.
White fish in Las Vegas
You like seafood, try White fish in Las Vegas in Hafez Persian Restaurant. Hafez has served the best Persian cuisine in the area for 5+ years now. It’s our pride being selected as the best top 25 restaurants in Las Vegas for two years in a row.
You could also order White fish in Las Vegas online through the menu of the website.