Hafez Joojeh is one of the delicious and authentic Persian dishes of the Galogah region in Mazandaran province. It is a dish made with chicken, and its unique taste comes from butter, pomegranate sauce, and its particular cooking method.
In Iran, there are different chicken similar to Hafez Joojeh. One of them is Akbar Joojeh which is very famous.
Hafez Joojeh is cooked in most houses in the North of Iran and also in other parts of Iran at different times of the year. The cooking method is not complicated and hard.
Hafez Joojeh benefits and calory
Chicken is one of the profound sources of protein in the world. According to the USDA, every 100g of chicken has 250kcalories. Chicken is rich in vitamins, minerals and low in cholesterol. Chicken meat is easy to digest while still being one of the tastiest foods. Studies indicate that a chicken diet is useful in controlling blood pressure as well.
Hafez Joojeh Recipe
- At first, skin the chicken and wash it. Cut the chicken in medium-small half.
- Put the chicken in a bowl; add chopped onion, crushed garlic, pepper, and salt. It depends on your taste; you can use red pepper or black, but the original recipe has black pepper.
- To get a better taste and color, add saffron, then add the lemon juice or lemon to make the meat delicious and tender.
- Use your hand and mix all the ingredients in the bowl thoroughly. If you repeat mixing the mixture a few times, you will have a better taste.
- Pour oil in a pot; when it’s hot, place the chicken parts in it. When the chicken color changed, lower the heat as much as possible and put the lid on. Turn over regularly. The chicken needs to cook like this for 20 to 25 minutes.
- When only a few minutes are left to be ready, add salt to the chicken.
- You could stir fry chicken for 1-2 m with butter for a better taste.
- When the chicken is ready, pour tomato paste to have a fantastic taste.
Hafez Joojeh Ingredients
- Brewed Saffron
- Grains Garlic
- Cup Lime Juice
- Tomato/Pomegranate paste
- Salt, Black Pepper
- Lemon/lemon juice
- While cooking chicken, you could also add lemon juice, pepper, salt, and infused saffron; it is optional.
- The original Persian Hafez Jojeh is served with rice, sweet or sour pomegranate paste. You could also make a special sauce for yourself to have a different taste. Marinate plum for a few hours. Add fried onion and pomegranate paste to it and simmer for 20 m.
- Onion and saffron are not used in original Pe4rsian Hafez Jojeh. They are optional.
- Another way of cooking Hafez Joojeh is to marinate the chicken in salt, milk, pepper, turmeric, then frying it in the pan.