Fesenjan, or Fesenjoon (a proper noun), the Persian walnut stew, is the pride of Persian (Iranian) cuisine. It is chicken stew flavored with walnuts, pomegranate and considered one of the Iranian national dishes. Fesenjan stew originates from the Gilan region and has a long history. Walnut is the most nutritious element in Fesenjan. As in many traditional recipes, the ingredients vary, but onion, ground walnuts, and pomegranate syrup are in virtually all versions. In some parts of Iran, people cook Fesenjan stew with meatballs as well as Chicken. Fesenjan tastes a bit tangy with a hint of sweetness.
Fesenjan stew Benefit
One of the essential ingredients of Fesenjan stew is walnut which is full of omega-three which improves mental performance and prevents related diseases. Fesenjan is rich in fiber, protein, and anti-oxidants. One plate of Fesenjan has 900 gr of calories.
- Onions, chopped
- Pomegranate molasses (paste)
- Chicken breast or thigh
- Sugar (optional)
- Ground nutmeg
- Salt, black pepper
Fesenjan stew Recipe
- Grind walnuts in a blender or food processor, toast it on medium heat since burns easily. The natural essence released is going to make our dish rich and buttery.
- Saute onion for 5 minutes until it becomes light.
- Mix walnuts and onion together and saute them for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water or stock. Bring the compound to boil, turn the heat down to medium, so it simmers, then add chicken thighs, salt, and pepper and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, if the chicken is cooked, add 1 cup of pomegranate molasses and simmer for 10 minutes. Put it on low heat and let to cook at least for 3-4 hours.
- Pomegranate molasses can be sweet or tart; The final stage starts by tasting the sauce; if it is too sour, you can add some sugar to balance the taste.
- Most of the Persian stews are served with rice, so is Fesenjan stew.
Fesenjan stew in Las Vegas
Trying Fesenjan stew in Las Vegas is available to you in Hafez Persian Restaurant. We are a family business preparing Persian food in Las Vegas for 5+ years now.
You can enjoy the most famous Persian stew in the city in Hafez with a friendly vibe. You will have a memorable experience you’ll never forget.
You could also order Fesenjan stew in Las Vegas through our website. Uber eats, GrubHub, choices yours.