Chili (hot beans) is one of Iranian food that is nutritional, healthy, and delicious. Chili, Adasi, and porridge (Haleem) are famous for breakfast among Iranians. Most of the legumes are high in protein, and chili is no exception. Chili can be served as an appetizer, light meal or nutritious breakfast.
Chili benefits and calories
Chili is rich in fiber; it can help lower blood glucose and competes with meat in this category. Also, the fiber can help create a feeling of fullness to lose weight. Beans are a rich source of amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein.
Beans contain several vital nutrients, including folate. Folate is essential for overall health. People who add beans to their diet may be less likely to get a cardiovascular problem or heart disease. Every 100g of chili has 347 calories.
- Mushroom (optional)
- Potato (optional)
- Lemon/lemon juice
- Tomato paste
- Salt, pepper, turmeric
Some people complain about distension after eating beans/legumes. It is best to soak beans a few hours or the night before cooking to prevent this issue.
- Soak beans in a bowl of water. Changing the water a few times removes distension, and beans will be cooked better.
- Wash and chop the onion — heat oil up in a frying pan over medium-temperature. Saute the onions in the frying pan; when it became golden-brown, place them in a container and set aside.
- Wash and chop the garlic; saute them in frying pan over low heat.
- Chop tomato and add them to the pan; saute and stir with garlic. Go on sauteing until its water evaporates.
- Take beans out of the water, dry it; add it to the tomato pan with tomato paste; mix thoroughly.
- Add 4 glass of water to the pan; put the lid on and let it cook over low heat for 3 hours. in this phase, the pot should be big enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Peel potatoes off and wash; chop to small cubes. Add them in an oiled pan just to be cooked, not fried. Add the half-cooked potatoes to beans in the last 45m. Adding earlier causes potatoes overcooked, causing chili to be ruined.
- Wash and chop mushroom in medium-large size to give a better shape to chili. Put the mushroom to the pot; wait for the mixture to be cooked thoroughly. You could use a few lemon juice/lemon to make chili taste better.