Baklava is a popular Persian dessert, Turkey, the Caucasus, the Balkans, and some West Asian states. It has layers of flaky pastry surrounding nuts and spices, sweetened with a fragrant syrup.
In Iran, Baklava is cut and presented in smaller diamond/lozenge-shaped cuts (the smaller, the more elegant) flavored with rosewater syrup. Most famous Persian Baklavas come from Yazd, Qazvin, Kerman, and Tabriz cities. Baklava has different tastes and looks due to each city has its style of sweets-making.
Persian Baklava is usually flavored with rosewater and sometimes also cardamom. Most Persian Baklavas are made with almonds, but pistachio is used too.
Due to nuts involved, Baklava is considered healthy, a good option to lose weight. In one piece of Baklava, there are 290 calories, 42g carbs,21g fat, and 4g protein.
- Phyllo pastry sheets
- Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven.
- Put almonds in a bowl, add boiling water, and set aside for 10 minutes or until when the skins slide off easily. When cool down to handle, process almonds in processor.
- Process the walnuts the same size as almonds.
- Mix cardamom, sugar, and cinnamon together.
- At the bottom of your dish, place one layer of phyllo. Butter it; pour a mixture of nuts on top. Repeat this process of making layers until all ingredients are used. You end up with four sheets of phyllo. Slice baklava into long rows of diamond shapes.
- Now, bake it in the oven for 30-40m or until it becomes golden-brown.
- Combine water and sugar in a pan on medium heat and let it boil. Stir in cardamom and steamed saffron; lower the temperature down and let the mixture simmer for 20m.
- In the final step, add lemon juice and rosewater.
- Spoon the syrup immediately on Baklava when you remove it from the oven. Garnish with pistachio or coconut powder. Let it cool completely before serving. Store uncovered.
Persian baklava is often served black tea too.
Baklava in Las Vegas
Now that you want to eat Baklava in Las Vegas try Hafez Persian Restaurant. We are a family-owned business serving the best Persian cuisine in the area for 5+ years now. Hafez got selected as the best top 25 restaurants in Las Vegas for two years in a row. You could try a wide and different range of Persian food from stews to kabobs with Hafez. Have a Perfect Persian experience with us right in the middle of Las Vegas.
You can also order Baklava in Las Vegas through the menu of the website. Ordering through GrubHub or UberEats is also possible.