Rice is the staple food in Iran. Adas Plow (Persian lentils) is a delicious mixture of rice with lentils. Some add a topping with raisins, ground beef, and onions. However, some people prepare the topping without adding the ground beef and serve Adas Polo as a vegetarian dish.
Adas Polo Benefits and calories
Adas polo is rich in vitamins A, C, B1, B2, iron, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium, which are essential for developing and strengthening children’s muscles. Lentils help lower cholesterol, and its fiber can prevent your blood sugar from rising. Rice, as we know, contains all the amino acids needed for building and maintaining muscle tissue.
One serving of Adas Polo contains 916 calories.
Adas Polo Ingredients
- Beef (optional)
- Cloves garlic
- Salt, pepper, cinnamon
Adas Polo Recipe
- Place the saffron in a bowl with a little hot water, leave in a warm place till it gives all the color and taste to water.
- Boil the lentils in a pot over medium heat for 20 minutes, until they are half cooked. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Peel and fry the onions until it becomes golden brown. Add half of it to lentil and keep the other half for the top.
- Wash and fry the raisins with a little oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix the rice and lentil together.
- Slice the potatoes in thin layers and place them at the bottom of the pot, and a layer of bread to have delicious Tah Dig.
- Cover the pot with the lid. Steam the rice for 30-40 minutes in low heat.
In some rare cases, Adas Polo is served with other Persian stews